Sunday, December 6, 2009

Prompt 5- Me and the Parents

The students that I am tutoring, one in particular, seem to have a big problem with understanding math. The one student I am going to refer to is named Carlos. He is a good student, and one who does his work, but in this case has trouble doing certain math problems, and what he is learning about right now is fractions. I remember when I was learning fractions it was a tough time, but I eventually learned it. Carlos seems to not fully understand math at all. He has a difficulty knowing what to do and it is hard. I do not know how to teach him this. He always asks me how to do an easy problem. I ask him all the time if he understands the curriculum and he says yes, but in the end he does not get it. It is tough, because there are students in the classroom that have a much worse case than Carlos does. Some do not even get math at all. Math has always come easy to me, but in Carlos’ case he needs more time to understand the curriculum in general. He needs extra time in this subject, but he cannot get any because of the way the curriculum is set for the classroom. With looking at that I look at the problem of the children’s learning capabilities. Not all children are same in learning styles; all students learn in different ways and understand it differently than others do. When collaborating with parents about their children I would have to compensate for their own learning styles, and what they need to learn. There might be a chance that I may have to suggest to parents that their children receive outside help, ask for their children to stay after school to get some extra help on the subject. They might have to be put into an IEP program where they can get the extra attention to learning that they need. When asking myself this, of how to talk to these parents about their children’s problems, I also look at the different ethnicities within the classroom. Most of the classroom is either African American or Spanish, with exception of at least two or three white children. I have to look at these students all as equals and give them the same amount of time I give all my students to help them learn. Allan Johnson, who wrote “Who’s Me? What it means to Be involved in Privilege and Oppression”, writes about how certain students get more privilege over others. This is because a teacher favor them, and reminds them of the teacher, it might be more prone for the teacher to give them more of an advantage, and that is something I cannot do. I have to treat all my students the same, and when talking to their parents have to tell them why their student is doing great or poorly. They have to understand that I am doing my best to teach them and there is not favoritism with in the classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jimmy

    I think that you have brought up a great point regarding the fact that all students have different learning styles. It is important to use a wide array of teaching techniques so that no students learning style is unattended to.You said that when you were speaking with parents you may have to recommend outside help. What other things may you suggest towards the parents? You may want to ask them if the child even attempts his homework or if hes getting any help from the parents. If the child is having behavioral problems you could discuss if these issues are rooting from any frustrations that are occuring in the home. Understanding a childs situation will help a teacher know whether or not the student is putting in their full effort or if home problems are obstructing their learning. In this case you could recommend a counselor to help the student work out their issues and be able to focus on his/her acedemics. You also mentioned how in Johnsons' "Priviledge and Oppression" that the system is caused by favoritism by the teachers but do you think the teachers consciously favor certain groups or if they just dont realize that they are putting minorities at a disadvantage.It is important for a teacher to constantly be questioning how to not participate in any accidental favoring and to include all groups in the curriculum and teaching styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy!
    I completely understand where you’re coming from. I also tutored math, and I also noticed some kids just not understanding. Kids do have different learning levels, and I tutored a group that had trouble with math. However I also noticed that once they had some one on one help they picked up on it really quickly. But one thing I did notice is that when one kid started to act up they all kinda followed suit. Did this happen to you as well? Or how many kids did you have at one time? I normally tutored around 4 or 5 kids at one time. We usually worked for about a half hour and then played a math game which was really rewarding for the kids in the end. However the times that they didn’t finish their work they were very discouraged. It almost seemed like they were getting their stuff done just to play the game. I also noticed that a lot of the time students would just scribble a bunch of numbers on the paper and then walk away and say I’m done. Then I’d call them back and we would sit down and actually finish the work. Kids are funny sometime, almost like they think they can slide stuff right under our noses. But we were that at one point and I usually told my students that I had tried that when I was their age, and then they usually would stop trying to throw curve balls my way.

    ReplyDelete