Sunday, December 6, 2009

Prompt 7-My last words

Well this is my final blog, after tutoring for so long at John Gregory Elementary; it has shaped me into becoming a better and more settled in teacher. I have had many experiences before in teaching but none like this. Before I had always taught the sport of baseball, because I loved the sport and it became quite easy for me to teach. Teaching is not always about teaching what one loves, but what has to be taught. In this case I taught math. Now math comes pretty easy to me, but teaching it to others became more of a difficult for me. I am not the greatest person to teach things to others, but somehow I succeeded in Ms. Jordan’s classroom. I feel that I accomplished so much this year, I do not know what to think. Ms. Jordan was a great teacher to be around, and I wish that there were more teachers like her out there. There cannot be though, because Ms. Jordan is her own person, her own teacher who teaches others for a living in a way no one else can. So, from that, I will have to take what I learned from her and put it in to my own teachings as a teacher. I mean while teaching my students, I took many things that Ms. Jordan did and put them into my teachings to her students. It worked phenomenally and I got great results from doing it. But with the school semester ending for me, and my fellow classmates, I wonder what their take was on their tutoring experience. How did they become a better teacher in the process, who knows, but all that I know is I became a better teacher and even student from this experience. So I end this blog with the knowledge of how I know now to become a better teacher and student, just through my experiences at John Gregory Elementary school and Ms. Jordan’s classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy,

    I agree with you wholeheartedly about each teacher being his or her own individual and that their teaching methods can't be perfectly duplicated because they bring their own personal history, bias, and experience to their teaching.

    I'm glad to hear that you had a positive experience in your classroom this semester, because I did too! I think if many of us had bad experiences in our classrooms, some of us might have rethought teaching, but I think a lot of people had great classes which only reinforced their want to become teachers.

    Being a teacher is not an easy job by any means, so just remember that when you're underpaid, over-stressed, in professional workshops bettering your craft for your kids, you are doing it for exactly that - your kids. You are doing it to see the lightbulbs in the classroom click on above their heads as they finally understand what you are teaching to them and how it's important.

    You sound like you would have an easier time teaching if it was something you could teach physically, so I hope you find a way to teach your history lessons that way; I think the kids would enjoy it all the more, while still learning about the content.

    Good Luck!
    :)

    ReplyDelete